In order for any organization to have a successful social media team, it must possess the certain skill sets of analyzing, designing, managing, engaging, listening, and responding. In terms of positions and not considering the company’s wage budget, I believe a social media team should consist of:
• a Website Manager (designer as well)
• a Campaign Manager
• a Social Media / Community Manager
• a Content Strategist
• a Social Analyst
In a perfect world, this would be my choice for the make-up of any social media team. However, due to the fact 82% of organizations only use one to three people for social media is where it becomes challenging.
The following venn diagram explains the positions each type of organization requires specified to their needs:
In explanation, companies must choose the make-up of their social media team relevant to what will be of value to help achieve their business objectives. Due to most companies small sized social teams, the employees will be responsible for the tasks and duties of more than one position.
Here is a brief description of each position just to clarify:
• Social Strategist: The program leader for social, responsible for helping achieve the overall business objectives for the company.
• Community Manager: The main form of communication and customer service between the brand and its consumers. Should also be seen as a trusted member of the community.
• Education Manager: The social media teacher of the team who continuously advises about the best practices, policies and resources used.
• Social Media Manager: Responsible for managing the ongoing social media campaigns of the company.
• Social Analyst: Uses social and web analytics to measure and report how social media is affecting the business and its customer satisfaction level.
• Web Developer: Helps integrate the company’s social media platforms into its existing technologies such as the company website.
• Content Strategist: Coordinates the content which should be shared whether it be advertising, corporate content or social media content.
• Digital Strategist: Helps social team integrate social media into all of its already existing digital channels including online and on TV.